Boleo Legal participated in the conference held at the University of Law in Maribor on 3 and 4 September entitled «Diversity of enforcement titles in cross-border debt collection in the EU», which was also webcast live for those who could not attend in person.
This conference is part of a project funded by the European Union’s Justice Programme (2014-2020).
The aim of this project is to facilitate the process of automatic recognition of the enforcement instruments of the member states, through the creation of manuals specifying the procedure to be followed in each member state and, at the same time, clarifying the different legal concepts that each country may have. All this through international legal cooperation of all member states. In addition, it is intended to create a Prototype IT-tool, where practitioners would, on an interactive basis, quickly acquire knowledge on foreign enforcement titles.
However, one of the main obstacles in cross-border enforcement is the lack of mutual trust between national authorities of different EU Member States, as the national authorities treat enforcement titles from other Member States with reservations and mistrust. This is further enhanced by the diversity of enforcement titles.
Keynote speakers in the conference:
- Jacek Garstka DG Just, EU Commission.
- Marko Ilešič CJEU Judge: CJEU judgement, structure and effects.
- Frederik Sjövall, attorney and partner at Manheimer Swartling.
- Samuel Rudvall, judge of Svea Court of Appeal. Challenges of recognition and enforcement of foreign judgments under B IA in Sweden, and vice-versa abroad.
- Željko Pajalić Supreme Court Judge (Croatia): Types and structure of judgments in relation to the scope of enforceability.
- Lionel Decotte French huisser de justice: The problems of enforcing foreign titles.
- Jens Bormann President of Notaries’ Chambers Germany: German Enforceable Notary act in cross border traffic.
- Paolo Pasqualis European Union of Latin Notaries: Authentic instruments under B IA Enforceable notary act in the EU.
- Wendy Kennet, Cardiff University: Cross-border movement of EU judgments after Brexit.
- Achilleas Demetriades Chairperson of the Human Rights Committee of the Cyprus Bar of Advocates: Enforcement of ECHR judgments in Cyprus (Ramon) and efforts for waiver of Immunity before the CJEU.
The consortium features a large network of acclaimed universities and other institutions from 13 different EU Members States and one Candidate Country, consisting of the following partners:
- Faculty of law, University of Maribor, Slovenia
- Institute for Comparative Law at the Faculty of Law in Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Chamber of Notaries of Slovenia
- CEPRIS, Slovenia
- University of Rijeka, Faculty of Law, Croatia
- University of Graz, Austria
- Masaryk University, Faculty of Law, the Czech Republic
- University of Wrocław, Poland
- Mykolas Romeris University, Lithuania
- Portucalense University, Portugal
- Boleo Global SL, Spain
- Leibniz University of Hannover, Germany
- University of Maastricht, the Netherlands
- Uppsala University, Sweden
- UCLan Cyprus
- University of Tirana, Albania
We will be updating the Blog to inform about future conferences and relevant updates about the En4es Project. Boleo Legal and all the participants of the Project are working together to try to solve all the obstacles and improve the trust between the different Member States.
Paula Turunen (Colaboradora)
Jesús Bores Lazo